Sunday, October 30, 2011

Coasters and Halloween

I was feeling crafty again yesterday and had almost all of the supplies to make my own coasters. The only things I didn't have were the mod podge, a paintbrush, and ceramic tiles. So, after purchasing those things, these six coasters cost me about $8.

If you'd like to make your own... keep reading.

Supplies you'll need:
Mod Podge
Paper Towel
Scissors or Paper Cutter
Ceramic Tiles in the size of your choosing (I got mine at Lowe's for $.34 each!)
Hot Glue Gun
Felt
Cardstock
Paint Brush
Coffee (optional, but for me... essential!)


Here's how to make your coasters:

Cut a piece of felt the same size as your tile and apply hot glue to the back of the tile.

Press the piece of felt onto the back of the tile (don't burn yourself like I always do when working with hot glue).

Now, cut out squares of card stock the size of the tile using your paper cutter or scissors.
I made mine a little smaller, just so I could have a border of white. Next time, I won't do that because not all of mine turned out very centered.

Lay the tile onto a piece of paper towel, and brush mod podge onto the ceramic (front) side of the tile.
Now, stick the card stock (more centered than I did!) onto the tile and press down. Let it dry for about an hour. When that's dry, put a layer of mod podge over the card stock, and let it dry again.

I put two layers on top of my card stock and let them dry in between both layers.


My finished product...
Perfect for my living room!

After making coasters, Rick and I went over to his parents' house to carve pumpkins with Ally.

Of course, he used a saw to carve his pumpkin (and the tops of ours, hehe).
Rick's turned out nice... the only problem was that you cannot tell what it is! Mine actually did not turn out to be a FAIL this time as it was the last time I carved pumpkins. I like my haunted house pumpkin!
Happy Halloween!


(Oh... and Happy Birthday Lissa!- if you're reading this!)

No comments:

Post a Comment