Friday, July 8, 2011

Red White and Blue Berry Trifle

So, for fourth of July I decided to make a dessert from the Martha Stewart Everyday Food Magazine (thanks for the subscription, Kaitlyn!). Turns out, it is THE BEST DESSERT EVER!!!


I am in love with it, but not in love with the 534 calories per serving... yikes! Despite that, you have got to try it, just once! We are going to our friend's cottage tonight and I'm bringing it.

Ingredients:
-1.5 lbs. raspberries
-3/4 cup confectioner's sugar
-1/4 cup orange juice
-10 oz. mascarpone cheese
-1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
-fine salt
-20-24 ladyfingers (I used vanilla wafers, they're much more practical)
-3/4 lb. blueberries

Directions:
In a medium bowl, combine raspberries with 1/4 cup confectioner's sugar and orange juice. With the back of a fork, lightly mash berries to release their juices and let sit for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, stir together mascarpone cheese and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar until smooth. Whisk in cream, vanilla, and pinch of salt and whisk (or use the little hand mixer- this is much faster) until soft peaks form (until it looks like whipped cream), about 4 minutes (took me longer, even with the mixer).

Place half the ladyfingers (vanilla wafers) in the bottom of a trifle dish (a large regular bowl will work for this as well, it doesn't have to look super fancy) and top with half of the raspberry mixture. With a small spatula, spread half of the whipped cream over the berries. Repeat with remaining ladyfingers, raspberry mixture, and whipped cream. Top with blueberries and refrigerate until whipped cream is stiff and cookies have softened, about 3 hours.


I doubled the recipe here, because last time we ran out and Ricky didn't even get to try it!

Anyway, check it out... yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment