Sunday, March 13, 2011

Bye Bye Bucks...

This was not the best weekend of my life. On Saturday, after a very good day at work, I went home where my dad and Rick were working on painting the basement. They took a break to eat lunch with me and my dad had some very bad news. Someone anonymous called Starbucks corporate and told them that they did not like the fact that my dad and I both work for the company, in the same district. My dad thought that was funny, since before I even worked for Starbucks he made sure it was okay for us to both work there. Apparently, the person who told him that isn't around anymore. So corporate is not going to make an exception (even though I worked there for FOUR YEARS and had the same last name as him for 3.5 of them!!!) because it is "policy" and now I have to leave Starbucks. I am very mad, but even more sad because I have made a lot of friends through working there. It is really hard for me to think about... I can't believe they would do this to me (and to my dad!). I have never received special treatment from anyone just because the D.M. is my dad. I've never wanted/expected to be treated any different than any other partners.
I really have a wonderful dad though. He fought with the people at corporate to try and get them to bend the rules a little, he tried to get a different district manager to cover my store so I could still work there, and he even tried to become the district manager for the licensed stores in the area. Nothing worked though and he was really upset as well. They told him that either he leaves or I leave. I know it was not going to be a forever-job for me (I didn't want it to be), but it is my dad's CAREER, so he can't leave.
I don't really know what I am going to do now. Hopefully, I can collect unemployment for a little bit while I look for a new job. That just sounds embarrassing though... I don't want a hand out. I feel ashamed, even though I did nothing to deserve any of this. I have to take classes until next summer, when I graduate, so I might just focus on school until I get an internship somewhere. I don't really know.
I don't think any of my work friends know about this, so telling them is going to suck. I don't even know when my last day is going to be or how long I can keep working there for. A week? A month? I guess I'll find out. This whole situation is just awful and now the company that I once thought was one of the best to work for, is the one I am soo mad at. I just can't believe this is happening FOUR YEARS after they hired me... why couldn't they have just told me then? I wouldn't have been upset if they would have just told me I wasn't allowed to work there. You just can't tell me that after four years I'm not allowed. Life is just so unfair.
I'm sorry to be such a downer. I know there are people that are far worse off than I am. It sounds stupid, but Starbucks is just a huge part of my life and I love working there. It's kind of like I'm getting kicked out of a second family. Thanks for "listening" to me vent.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda-I am so sorry to hear! Your posting brought tears to my eyes! The situation really sucks but all things happen for a reason, maybe there is an bigger plan or opportunity out there. I'm sure there is a lot of uncertainty at this point on where the road is going to lead you, but you are a hard working, smart, and loyal person who has INVESTED 4 years into a company that showed no loyalty. loyalty and buy in are two qualities that are hard to find in an employee- it separates the men from the boys; and there are a lot of boys out there in the work world and even Starbucks. But the strong who love what they do, inspire others, and are loyal, they persevere and I know that is what you are made of and will do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry Manda! I can't believe you can't work at Starbucks anymore, I know how much you enjoyed it there! I would seriously be so angry. I'm sure all your friends there are just as mad about it as you are. I know you'll be able to find something else though, you are so strong and capable!
    And if you find yourself with too much spare time, there's a futon out here with your name on it and a friend who would love to see your beautiful face:)
    Love Love Love,
    Lissa

    ReplyDelete